Rep. Cutler has been hard at work on a variety of state and local issues since he first took office in January of 2013. Below are just a few of the highlights. If you are interested in a particular issue and want to learn more please don't hesitate to contact our office. Above is Rep. Cutler's Maiden Speech in the House of Representatives in support of block grants for local Councils on Aging.
Rep. Cutler recently published a State House report with an overview of the recent legislative session. It is available for download as a pdf on this page.
- New economic development bill passed in House.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's visit with Pembroke Chamber of Commerce members
- Read more about Rep. Cutler's efforts to promote the cranberry industry in Southeastern, Massachusetts
- Read about legislation passed by Rep. Cutler and his colleagues to freeze unemployment insurance rates to help small businesses.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's small business tour.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's Small Business Summit in Hanson.
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler's Small Business Boot Camp in Duxbury.
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler hosting Joint Committee on Small Business for Listening Tour in Pembroke.
- Read about bill to increase minimum wage and reform unemployment insurance system.
- Letter in support of supplemental budget line item to benefit local shellfishing industry by studying vibrio bacteria.
- Read about Rep. Cutler hosting the Joint Committee on Small Business here on the South Shore to meet local businesses and learn about their issues and concerns. Boston Globe story. Patriot Ledger story.
Local Aid & Municipal Issues
- Coverage of boost to school aid for Pembroke schools.
- Overview of FY17 state budget which boosts Chapter 70 School Aid.
- Summary of Municipal Modernization Bill proposed by Gov. as approved by House W&M.
- Article on Rep. Cutler's successful effort to boost Chapter 70 school aid funding in FY17 budget.
- More coverage of boost to per pupil minimums in Chapter 70 formula.
- House FY17 budget provides more funding to local cities and towns
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler's work to get funding for Pembroke pond management.
- Update on Chapter 90 funding to cities and towns for local road and bridge projects
- Read article on bi-partisan efforts to restore local aid cuts.
- Update on Rep. Cutler's public forum on Unfunded Mandates with State Auditor Suzanne Bump.
- Track legislation (H.3773) co-sponsored by Rep. Cutler to give cities and towns more flexibility in the issuing temporary bonding notes.
- Track bill (H.3691) written by Rep. Cutler to reduce local interest fees paid by cities and towns in judicial actions.
- Read Rep. Cutler's commentary opposing a state takeover of our local housing authorities
- Read article about Rep. Cutler's support for local Cultural Councils and arts organizations.
- Coverage of efforts by Rep. Cutler and Rep. Diehl to question if new state requirement on background checks for teachers is unfunded mandate.
- Read about Legislature's efforts to freeze tuition and fees for all state colleges and universities.
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler's support for budget increase to aid UMass system and provide tuition freeze for second year.
Senior & Veteran Issues
- Coverage of new bill expands housing options for veterans
- Rep. Cutler hosts forum on tax credits for seniors
- Watch video of Rep. Cutler's Maiden Speech in support of Council on Aging grants.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's successful amendment to help veterans reduce their property tax burden.
- Read about VALOR Act II legislation supported by Rep. Cutler to expand opportunities and services for military personnel, veterans and their families. More coverage of the VALOR Act II which is now law.
- Read about community services forum Rep. Cutler hosted in Hanson and in Pembroke.
- Watch Cutler Corner episode with Mass. Secretary of Veterans Affairs Coleman Nee.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's forum on Senior Citizen Circuit Breaker tax credit in Pembroke.
- Coverage of my efforts to change law protecting perpetrators of domestic violence.
- Read about bi-partisan legislation co-sponsored by Rep. Cutler to increase penalties for animal abuse.
- Read about new law to increase death benefit for families of first responders.
- Read about the kids safety forum hosted by Rep. Cutler in Pembroke.
- Read commentary by Rep. Cutler in support of tougher penalties for animal abusers.
- Read article about Rep. Cutler and his colleagues voting to stiffen penalties for corporate manslaughter.
- Read article about legislative change that allows public to access information on Level II sex offenders.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's visit with local high school students in support of a domestic violence prevention campaign.
- Read about new legislation addressing juvenile murder parole standards in the wake of SJC court decision.
Public Health & Opiate Crisis
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler's event on Suicide Prevention and Behavioral health issues.
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler's forum on Lyme Disease
- Rep. Cutler's Community forum on tick borne illness
- Read about Rep. Cutler's support for pilot program to provide recovery coaches for a recovering addicts
- Read Commentary by Rep. Cutler about the many facets of substance abuse.
- Read about comprehensive Autism services bill supported by Rep. Cutler.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's efforts to keep parents informed about the issue of e-cigarettes.
- News coverage of Rep. Cutler's open forum on e-cigarettes in Duxbury.
- Read about legislation supported by Rep. Cutler to help combat substance abuse epidemic and ensure access to medical detox services. UPDATE: Now law.
- News coverage of Rep. Cutler's involvement with new substance abuse prevention group in Pembroke.
- Article on bill advocated by Rep. Cutler to tighten rules on opiate prescriptions.
- Rep. Cutler's remarks in support of House opiate and substance abuse addiction prevention bill.
- Rep. Cutler's commentary on the need for labelling of GMO foods.
- Read a commentary on Rep. Cutler's legislation to fix the way mobile phones are charged sales tax.
- Read about legislation passed by Rep. Cutler and his colleagues in the House to boost standards for compounding pharmacies. Update: now signed into law.
- Read commentary by Rep. Cutler about direct shipment of wine legislation.
- Watch Rep. Cutler's testimony on Flood Insurance Relief Bill and read coverage of bill's passage.
- Read about the issue of GMO labelling and the growing list of legislators supporting this issue including Rep. Cutler.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's efforts to protect whistleblowers and confidential news sources with a state media shield law.
Energy & Environment
Josh believes renewable energy and green jobs should be as vital a cog in our state’s economy as health care, higher education or biotech.
- Article about new energy bill signed into law by Governor Baker
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler's Energy Forum held in Pembroke.
- GMO Labelling bill approve by Environment & Natural Resources Committee
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler being given award by South Shore Recycling Cooperative for his work on environmental issues.
- Read commentary in Patriot Ledger by Rep Cutler in support of solar energy.
- Read about open forum Josh hosted in Duxbury with environmental experts to talk about updating the Bottle Bill.
- Track legislation (H.3038) filed by Rep. Cutler to encourage use of electronic vehicles on state highways.
- Read about legislation Rep. Cutler and his House colleagues passed to curb methane gas emissions.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's efforts to bring a solar array to Duxbury's capped landfill, including his remarks at the groundbreaking ceremony.
- Read article about Rep. Cutler joining key bottle bill supporters to speak out and advocate for prompt action this session.
- Read about opening of new solar company in Pembroke that will bring dozens of new jobs to area.
- Coverage of the Summer Solstice Tour stop in Pembroke to highlight solar energy growth and success in Massachusetts.
- Watch video of Rep. Cutler's interview of Mass. Fish and Game Commissioner Mary Griffin.
Nuclear Power Plant safety
Josh is a strong advocate for the safe operation of Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant, including storage of spent fuel rods, protection of neighboring communities and safeguards for the men and women who operate the plant.
- Rep. Cutler talks about efforts to safeguard ratepayers from getting stuck paying for Pilgrim decommissioning costs.
- Letter from activist about legislation Rep. Cutler working on to protect ratepayers.
- Read a letter from Rep. Cutler to NRC expressing concerns with the environmental review of nuclear waste storage options at Pilgrim.
- Track legislation (H.1906) co-sponsored by Rep. Cutler to expand the emergency planning radius of nuclear reactors from 10 to 20 miles.
- Track legislation (H.1907) co-sponsored by Rep. Cutler to increase the Mass. Dept. of Public Health's annual reactor assessment for environmental surveillance & emissions monitoring.
Transportation & Infrastructure
- Rep. Cutler pushes MassDOT for answers and updates on Duxbury Roundabout project. (Also here)
- Article on keeping MBTA accountable on weekend commuter rail service.
- Watch Rep. Cutler's remarks on the House floor in support of weekend rail service restoration.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's meeting co-sponsored with Sen. President Therese Murray to address weekend rail service.
- Read about the Transportation Bond bill that will provide funding for infrastructure projects and Chapter 90 funds for local roadway needs.
- Read article about Rep. Cutler's bill to expand zipper lane hours on the Expressway to reduce congestion.
- Read about legislation Rep. Cutler is co-sponsoring to make it easier for charities to qualify for specialty license plates
Josh supports efforts to focus our state public assistance programs on job training, education services and financial literacy and at the same time close loopholes and create incentives for residents to transition out of welfare to promote a path to self-sufficiency.
- News coverage of new welfare reform legislation. (12/3/13)
- "Moving forward with EBT reform" By Rep. Josh Cutler and Rep. Jim Cantwell.
- "More work needed to reform EBT abuses" by Rep. Josh Cutler. (3/8/13)
- Overview of major EBT reforms.
- Read about an open forum in Pembroke sponsored by Rep. Cutler with the DTA Commissioner.
- Read article on Rep. Cutler's efforts to enhance the state's welfare program and focus on job training.
- Watch Cutler Corner episode with William Daly, Chief of Program Integrity of the MA. Dept. of Transitional Assistance.
Utility Tree Cutting
- Read more about Rep. Cutler's efforts to protect homeowners during the utility company vegetation removal process.
- Read article in Wicked Local about my legislation to address vegetation management practices.
- Read my commentary in support of commission to report back with recommendations to change vegetation management process.
Voting & Elections
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler's resolution to seek equality for America's adopted children.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's efforts on the Election Laws Committee to making voting easier and introduce online registration and early voting. Update: Now passed into law.
- Video of Rep. Cutler speaking out in support of "Mass Disclosure Act" to curb influence of SUPERPACs and special interest groups spending unregulated sums on political campaigns.
Youth in Government
Rep. Cutler has worked hard to involve young people in state government and give them opportunities to develop and showcase their talents and skills.
- Read article on Rep. Cutler's student legislator program.
- Watch video from Rep. Cutler's Sixth Plymouth District Student Art Show.
- Read about Rep. Cutler's State House intern program.
- Read more about Pembroke students recognized in Rep. Cutler's student art show.
- Coverage of Rep. Cutler's 2014 student art show.
Community Access TV Video Clips
- Watch Rep. Cutler with WHCA host Kevin Tocci on Cross Talk - March 2014
- Watch Rep. Cutler on WHCA CrossTalk with host Kevin Tocci - December 2013
- Watch Rep. Cutler on WHCA CrossTalk with host Kevin Tocci - September 2013
- PAC-TV coverage of Duxbury Solary array project with Rep. Cutler
- Watch Rep. Cutler's "Cutler Corner" program on PAC-TV with local housing authority directors
- Watch Rep. Cutler's "Cutler Corner" program on PAC-TV with Ply. County Treasurer Tom O'Brien
- Watch Rep. Cutler's "Cutler Corner" program on PAC-TV with Ply. and South Shore Realtor's Davenport Crocker
- Watch Rep. Cutler's "Cutler Corner" program on PAC-TV with Pembroke Chamber of Commerce's David Shea
- Watch Rep. Cutler's "Cutler Corner" program on PAC-TV with Duxbury Town Manager Rene Read
- Watch Rep. Cutler's "Cutler Corner" program on PAC-TV with Pembroke Health Agent Lisa Cullity
- Watch Rep. Cutler's "Cutler Corner" program on PAC-TV with Pembroke Library Director Deb Wall