Tax free shopping this weekend
Reminder: This weekend (August 17 & 18) is our Sales Tax Holiday. This a great time to get those back to school supplies (sorry kids!) or other household items you've been looking for. Here are the basics:
• No sales tax (6.25%) for retail items under $2,500. Some stores offer additional savings on top of this so it pays to check around.
• If your purchase requires home delivery you can still get tax break as long as you pay for it this weekend.
• If you purchase multiples items that add up to more than $2,500 you still get the tax break for each item as long as no single item was over $2,500.
• Online shoppers can still save if purchase made during designated time period.
• Does not apply to tobacco, alcohol or marijuana, motorboats or vehicles.
• Does not apply to meals tax. There was intent to include this year, but the restaurant industry requested a delay as there are technical issues involved in tax collection that could not be resolved in time. This will be revisited next year.
Additional questions? See DOR website here: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/sales-tax-holiday-frequently-asked-questions#related-
Do you like this post?